Monday, July 3, 2017

Review Game - Create Bingo Cards

One of my first years of teaching I sent out a mass email to my school asking them how they review for assessments. Students LOVE games, and let's be honest, I love doing games with them! I had an overwhelming response from my request and will share some responses through random posts here (obviously the technology related ones).

Let's start with BINGO. https://bingobaker.com/ allows you to create your own BINGO boards and you can easily print them or there is an option for students to pull up the boards on an electronic device and play along as well. This option is what most of my students prefer because they are the ones actually touching the technology!


5x5, 4x4, and 3x3 boards are your options. You can even add in another row if you're feeling real BINGO-y. The website gives you the ability to create your own title for the game board and the word BINGO can be changed to whatever you want (only one letter each box though). This is especially helpful with the 4x4 and 3x3 boards when you can't spell BINGO.

If you want to save and manage your cards, upload more images, or have the ability to print more than eight cards then you'll need to create an account. This option will cost you $14.95 a year though. I tend to just use eight cards and make copies; it makes for a fun/competitive time when we're playing because students know that others have the same card as them so they need to be quick.

Because my students in some courses range from AP level to ID students with a TA, I typically prepare two rounds of boards. One round will be on colored paper and the modified boards will be on a different color paper. This way if all the papers are in one pile I can easily pass them out without having to resort. (I'll explain the difference in this later.)

I'll show you a 4x4 grid. You can easily type in words or drag and drop pictures into each square. Pasting in a list of words is an option as well, but it won't allow pictures with this option.


Pasting in a list of words view:

When done, you can choose if you you would like to "Shuffle items only within their column (there's a box to click for this option). This is where the modifying comes into play. I only click this for one of the rounds I prepare. Before beginning the game I typically say something like "If you have a green board you should listen for the letter I give before the answer, if you have a blue board then the letter doesn't matter to you." If you DON'T click that box then the answers will be shuffled anywhere on the board instead of just within the same column. (For our purposes I've clicked the box.)

Then click the yellow box that says "Generate".


Options will appear on the right that you can work through. Here are a few things to think of when choosing your options:
  • Remember that if you are NOT paying for this service then you have an 8 BINGO card max, not 8 printed pages. This means if you want to print 4 cards per page then you're getting only 2 pages of a pdf created.
  • When you click "PRINT" a new tab opens with a pdf that you can print from. I will show later what each looks like (1, 2, or 4 cards per page).
  • Printing a word list is an option to be created within the pdf or you can choose the link farther down and just print the Call List - it's the same thing. I'll show you this as well.
  • Playing Online will eliminate the need for printing any BINGO boards at all and allows the students to click on the boxes on the screen to track what they already have.You simply just need to keep the URL they have posted for you and have students pull it up when it's time to play. Be sure to save both the modified and the non-modified URL. As I mentioned earlier, most of my students choose this option because they are using the technology!
  • The last option "Close & Edit" is what I choose when I make my second version of the board to avoid having to enter everything in again.
Here are what the options look like - I prefer one card on a page or allowing students to play online: 
  • 4 cards on one page
  • 2 cards on one page
  • 1 card on a page
  • Online version
And here is what the Call List looks like; as the directions on the page say you can easily cut them up to pull out of a bag or something or just cross off on the page.


Bingo Baker is really that easy! And to simplify it even more...I laminate all my BINGO boards and reuse them every year for the students that want to have a paper version.

As this is the first post I'm making of a Review Game that uses technology I wanted to ask you what type of technology do you use for reviewing? I'm always open to learn about new ways to review with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment